Sunday, April 10, 2011

TONG YUAN!




So Tong Yuan is a Chinese dessert that has really been in every phase of my life. A little obsession of mine. In Hong Kong I would just crave for it and look for it in the dessert shops. On my Study aboard in China I had it every Sunday since I discovered that they sold ready made tong yuan packets. In Utah I would just dream about it. In California I would wait hoping that my n-laws would make their home made pressure cooker red bean soup along with store bought tong yuans for dessert on Sundays.

Finally I decided this week that no longer do I need to wait ! So I decided to DIY TONG YUANS myself! It was actually super super easy. Add 5 ounces of water gradually to 1 cup of glutenous rice flour untill you form a play dough like texture! It's actually really fun! It feels very different to any other dough. This time I added peanut butter in it. I'm not sure if it was exactly how I wanted it but not bad. For the soup I added ginger and brown sugar.

So this is definitely not for everyone. I remember when I first shared this love of tong yuan to my 8th graders that I was teaching they looked at me in disgust. Like what! I can't believe you eat that! I was crushed. How could they not share my passion? I mean doesn't it look delicious :P

2 comments:

  1. I want the recipe! Or you can just make it for me when you get here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love tang yuan! I didn't know that it was so easy to make. Yours turned out so pretty!

    We just buy the packages from the Asian grocery store. I've made it a few times with red bean soup and just plain tang yuan like our in-laws, but this last year we discovered tang yuan that's already filled with red bean (or sesame, lotus, or peanut). It's incredible! We eat it at least once a week lately.

    ReplyDelete